of your time or money
Augustine. Aquinas. Calvin. a Kempis. Books by these authors have changed my life, and they continue to change other lives, even hundreds of years after they were written. They are classics, a store of the wisdom of the years, a treasury of the church.
The mission of the Christian Classics Ethereal Library is to build up Christ's church by making classic Christian literature available and promoting its use. We do that through the ccel.org Web site, which receives millions of pageviews per month from over 200 countries. We freely distribute data equivalent to a million books per month.
Imagine trying to study to become a pastor, or even just to learn more about your faith, without access to a library or Christian bookstore. In many parts of the world, the Internet, good libraries, and good bookstores are unavailable or too expensive for many Christians. At the CCEL we work to address this problem by making CD-ROMs of classic Christian books available free in developing countries.
The CCEL is funded in part through advertising and sales of some some book formats such as ePub and Kindle, but it would not survive without the support of so many generous Christians. There are many ways you can support this mission.
Give of your time:
The Volunteer page and the Volunteer Discussion Groups are the best places to obtain information about volunteering at CCEL. In addition, we’ve listed brief summaries of several volunteer tasks below.
- Pray that God's church would be built up through classic Christian books distributed at the CCEL and elsewhere.
Our new wikibook system lets you help proofread and prepare texts online, a page at a time. You can correct a page or work on a whole book. Why not give it a try?
You can also correct errors or proofread pages in completed books as you read.
Translate. Two books I'd love to add are in the public domain, but they aren't in English. The only English translations are copyrighted so they can't be placed on the CCEL. Use Google Translate to get a start on the translation and polish it up. The books are
- Way of a Pilgrim: Russian
- Bonhoeffer, Cost of Discipleship
Support CCEL financially:
Sign up for one of the CCEL's subscriptions.
Purchase advertising on the CCEL Web site.
Support the distribution of a CCEL CD-ROM to a missionary, minister, or interested individual in a developing country where access to the Internet and to theological libraries is limited for $8 per CD-ROM (designate a gift below).
- Financial donations are always greatly appreciated. Tax-deductible donations can be made:
- Online, through Calvin College's donation page.
- By check to CCEL and mailed to Christian Classics Ethereal Library · 3201 Burton SE · Grand Rapids, MI 49546. Please indicate if you would like Calvin College to contact you regarding other donor opportunities.
- If you have questions regarding donations, please contact Nyna Sykes.